Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Running

I've always had an afinity for running. For as long as I can remember, I've been a fan of the sport. It's so liberating for me. There are very few things I enjoy as much as I enjoy running (baseball and music are excluded, obviously. They are my two passions in life).

Why do I run? I'll tell you why. It doesn't take much to make happy, and not much makes me happier than looking up at the sky when I run. That's one reason why. As I run along the river, I glance up at the sky every so often and grin with pure joy. I then seem to speed up a bit, slow down, look at the sky, speed up, slow down, repeat until exhaustion.

Another reason I enjoy running so much is because it's my ultimate stress reliever. And when I say stress I don't mean stress from school or anything like that. If I have a headache, as odd as it sounds, I go for a run, and within minutes it's gone. Running takes away emotional and physical stress like you wouldn't believe. Between music and running (and other physical activity), it's no wonder why I basically have a stress-free life. Part of it's personality, too, I bet. Don't let drama into your life. Some might say that's easier said than done, but it's really not.

Running lets me think without thinking. I'd rather sort out my thoughts while running than sitting in a quiet room. It really clears my mind. I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders when I run--even if it's just for a moment, it's amazing. I feel so empowered when I run sometimes. Like I can do anything. My feet may be on the ground, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. It's a natural high for me. Seeing that sun in that sky...I almost feel like I'm there when I run. Even in the heart of a city, something about running takes it all away. I'm in my own world.

And on top of all of my personal benefits of running, it gets/keeps you in shape. Running a few times a week is unbelievably beneficial to your health. It helps me sleep better (which is good because I still haven't been sleeping well) as well as keep me in shape. But we all knew that, didn't we?

I could go on for hours about how much I love running. You should go try it for yourself.

Oh, and don't use a treadmill. Feel the wind on your face and the earth beneath your shoes.

No comments: