Saturday, October 25, 2008

(College) Life (in General), and the Who

This is about more than just college life, but I'll start with that.

College..What can I say about it? What can't I say about it? It's a great place. It really is. I've made some really great friends, and it's been a great seven weeks. I have no complaints (other than midterms are coming up), and even though sometimes I crave a campus and books, I know that if I had it I would be begging for concrete and lead sheets.

That being said, I went to my first party tonight. It's funny because my mom was just asking if I had been to any yet and I told her no. It was more of a jam session than a party, but nonetheless there was people and noise (the liquor stores had all closed, not that it had any affect on me). It was pretty fun. I met some cool people, so it's all good.

I have my remaining four midterms this week. Guitar Lab, Ear Training, Harmony, and Writing Skills, in that order. I'm not concerned with my Guitar Lab midterm at all. I have a few patterns to memorize, but it won't be a problem. Easy A. I'm a little worried about my Ear Training midterm because I'll probably end up singing the hardest melodies we've done. It's completely random, but I'll end up singing the most difficult ones. It's alright, I have until Wednesday. I'm not worried about the material on my Harmony midterm, I'm worried about the time limit. I only have 50 minutes, and I really want to ace it. If I study enough, I'll be fine. I know what I know, and I know what I don't know, if that makes sense. I have to work on what I don't know more than what I know, and I know that makes sense. My Writing Skills midterm shouldn't be too difficult. Plus it's not until Thursday. Plenty of time to prepare. I'm more concerned about getting my homework done than I am about doing well on my midterms. I have to write a list of changes I would make in secondary education in America, create a track on Reason, write out a drum pattern with a bass line that grooves with the drums, and study. All of this is due by Wednesday (most of it is due Tuesday).

On top of all that, I have to go for a run tomorrow and start eating healthier. I'm going to start a food journal. I have to, otherwise I'll live off cereal and sweets with the occasional peanut butter sandwich. Okay, so it's not that bad, but it's not that good, either.

I also need to start a "career journal." I know what I want to do already, so it's more like a direction journal. How to get to where I want to be. Technically, I already have one started. My lyrics/idea notebook is exactly that. This one will be much more focused. Which is what I need to be, focused. It's not like I'm scattered now, I just need to straighten a few things out, but don't we all? In a way, I'm waiting to get it together. I actually have a song by that title. It's not done yet. Fitting. Just give me some more time, I swear it'll all work out.

Once again, Pete Townsend acknowledged my existence. I went to see the Who last night with my mom, Susan, and my friend Tom. And once again, it was an incredible experience, and an unforgettable night. The third time's the charm. Last night was only my second. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but if you do, you know I'm right. It's almost happened twice, thrice if you count Billy Joel. Next time. This also gives me more time to prepare. I could use it, too. Eventually, none of this will be necessary.

I'm gonna leave you now. Probably somewhat confused by that last statement. Cut me some slack. After all, it's almost two in the morning.

(The funny thing is, that's exactly what I want)

No comments: