Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's Just A Moment, This Time WIll Pass

My motivation has returned, but I felt the need to update before I begin tackling my workload.

Honestly, I would love if this semester was done now. I'm not in the mood for school. Even if ear training will help me become a better musician, I really don't enjoy doing it. I refused to sing in class yesterday, and I promised my teacher I would sing Friday so I better be ready. I will be ready. I'm gonna ace whatever he throws at me. I got this.

Continuing on the subject of not being in the mood for school, I have an essay due tomorrow. It's a compare and contrast essay, and I think I'm going to do it on the two presidential candidates. It's the most relevant topic I can think of, and I have sooo much to draw from (which is a blessing and a curse). However, just like ear training, I really don't feel like doing the work. I'm motivated, just not motivated to write an essay.

Harmony might kill me. We went from talking about the modes of a major scale (easy easy easy stuff) to writing out guide tone lines. I know all about guide tones, but writing out actual lines? Easier said than done for me. Now this is something that I don't ever see myself using. Ear training, yes. Creating drum patterns, yes. I use English every day, but guide tone lines? Guide tones themselves, yes. But lines? Well, unless I become extremely proficient at piano, no. I don't think I'll ever be writing out guide tone lines outside of Berklee. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

There are some moments where I question my decision. I love Berklee, I do. It's not about that. I do feel as if I "belong" here, I just question whether I "belong" some place else sometimes. I'm happy here, but I know for a fact I could be happy anywhere--anywhere near Fenway Park that is. Ha, I'm kidding. I can be happy anywhere. We all know that. And I am happy here. In the words of U2:

And if the night runs over

And if the day won't last
And if your way should falter
Along the stony pass
It's just a moment
This time will pass

No comments: