Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Do You Ever Wanna Be More?

I'm not going to begin to try and describe how amazing John Mayer was Saturday night because I can't. He was too good for words. It was my third time seeing him, and the first time I didn't cry of excitement when he came on stage (in a Red Sox jersey. Coco Crisp's to be specific). And like usual, he talked to the crowd a lot and one thing that he said really stuck with me:
"I think it's safe to say that everybody in the world is driven by the need to want to be more than they were yesterday..Or more tomorrow than today. I'm obsessed with it."
That's not the whole quote, he continues on about hotel keys and how he needs to keep it in a lead box because he might "really have to poop later." Hilarious, yes. He then went into one of my favorite songs, "Bigger Than My Body."

It's safe to say that John Mayer and I have the same theory. It's not about wanting more, it's about wanting to
be more. If you are more, you'll get more, but that's not the reason I want to be more. It's hard to explain where my drive comes from, or what it even is. I've got most of it figured out. I just need some more time to get it all sorted out. I gotta test some waters and see what feels best. I think I know the answer, but I'll keep it to myself and a few close friends for the time being.

Drive is a funny thing. It's funny how much it's changed over time. When was the last time you heard someone want to say, "I want to be a mailman," (And no, Mr. Stebbins doesn't count) or anything like that. You ask a seventeen-year-old what he or she wants and more often than not you'll get, "I don't know," which is fine--you have your whole life to figure it out. It's either "I don't know" or "I want to be famous." Okay, for what? That seventeen-year-old doesn't have an answer. Do you want to be a reporter? An actor? A musician (yes, please)? An athlete? A businessman? Pick something! Fame is not an occupation. Ignore those people that are just famous for being famous (Paris Hilton, and anyone on MTV). They don't count. They don't do anything.

I can't remember who said it but fame is just a good seat in a restaurant. And if you're talented enough and driven enough, you can attain fame. Maybe not right away, but it will come. It will come. Another thing that was lost (the first is a sense of reality I guess you'd say) is patience. Like the lion in front of the New York Public Library. Patience, my friend, is a virtue.

No comments: