Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Happy (Almost) Birthday To Me

Tomorrow is my 18th birthday.  18!  I'm still trying to embrace it and realize that it is not as big of a number as I think it is.  So many things come with being 18--the most important one is being able to vote.  I promise I will vote.  I swear on Big Red that I will vote.  Another cool thing about being 18 is that I'll be able to enter radio contests!  I've always wanted to be able to enter radio contests.  I could have won so many free concert tickets.  I knew the answers more often than not, but I could never call in to win because I wasn't 18.  After tomorrow, that will change.

Unlike many 18-year-olds or soon-to-be 18-year-olds, I could care less about being able to drink in Canada.  That doesn't interest me: drive five hours to get drunk.  That's just silly.  On top of gas, you have to buy the alcohol, AND get a hotel room.  And the conversion rate is even.  Dollar for dollar.  Nope, sorry, you go and have fun, I'll stay home and play guitar.

Starting tomorrow I'll be able to have my own eBay account.  That's awesome.  I no longer have to use my mom's.  I'll be able to buy and sell as I please.  I actually have quite a few things I need to sell..And buy.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to about tomorrow is tomorrow.  That looks and sounds funny, doesn't it?  Well, see, for the past like..five years, I have had lame/uneventful/boring birthdays.  Last year I went to the movies with my parents, and backed into my friend's car (that put a damper on things).  Most of my friends have been gone for my birthday, and this year is no exception: Drew's in Canada, Alex is in Australia, and if they're not out of the country, then they're working.  It doesn't bother me at all this year, really.  Tomorrow might be the day I was born, but I care more about the next two days.  Instead of having tangible presents, I have something much better, and much more personal: Tickets to two Red Sox/Yankees games.  I can be in the worst mood ever, but when I think about those games I instantly become happy.  Very few things could be better than that.  Fun fact: The day of the infamous fight between A-Rod and Varitek was on my birthday, July 24th, 2004.  Thought I'd share that with you.  I think it's wicked cool.

No comments: