Sunday, April 5, 2009

Three of Ten: U2





Never in my life have I been so influenced by a band so fast.

I went to Dublin last August, and I had been a mild fan of U2 for a long time. I knew of the brilliance of The Joshua Tree album and that they were from Ireland, but that was about it. The second I stepped foot in Dublin, I became consumed by U2. I thought, "Oh, I'm in Ireland. U2's from Ireland. Let's check 'em out."

I was hooked.

I didn't have any of their songs on my iPod at the point. So I YouTubed them like mad whenever I had the chance to. I was so obsessed with them that learned how to play With Or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For via YouTube while in Europe. I must have heard half of their catalogue through YouTube on my trip. We left Dublin before we could go see the U2 Wall, but that's okay. I'll go back.

The day after I got home, I went out and bought six of their CDs and played them all the time (The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, War, All That You Can't Leave Behind, and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb). Their music covers every single emotion. Their approach is so different than anyone else I listen to.

The Edge is the epitome of less-is-more when it comes to guitar. There are some very guitar-driven songs/albums, but on songs like With Or Without You, he only plays like..three different licks throughout the song. Pride has one of my favorite guitar riffs in it. There's a lot, and then there's a little. I love it. I want to be able to do more with less like Edge can. He's the only guitarist in the band, and while they can overdub in the studio, there's not a whole lot of looping going on live because Edge (and Larry and Adam) can fill a stadium no problem. I could talk about his effects and his tone for hours, but the Edge is a better guitarist than anyone gives him credit for.

Bad is one of my favorite songs by them. It's prosody at it's finest: it sounds like it feels, and it feels like it sounds. It's empty and almost hollow at parts (to me anyway), but it fills you up. When Bono wails "I'm wide awake I'm wide awake wide awake. I'm not sleeping," I get more than shivers down my spine.

A lot of people don't like Bono because they think he's just doing charity work for the attention. Bono doesn't need to do anything for attention. He's done so much to try and help the world, and sometimes a cause need a famous face to get noticed. As for Bono, he doesn't care if the public thinks he's doing it for the attention. He's doing what he wants to do, and trying to make a difference. I have tons of respect for the man. His voice is phenomenal, and he writes lyrics that move me. He uses a lot of clich
é rhymes, but he can get away with it. He's also probably the only person that can get away with saying "sexy boots" more than once in a song.

You can't talk about U2 without Larry Mullen. If it weren't for Larry, U2 might not even exist. He posted a sign on a bulletin board at school, and that's how it all began. Larry is definitely the looker of the band. His drumming is so cool. Bullet the Blue Sky, Bad, and Sunday Bloody Sunday all have incredible drumming. He's not crazy like Keith Moon was, nor is he as straight as Charlie Watts. He falls somewhere in between. The sound he gets out of his drums is incredible. The tone is so great.

People sometimes forget about bassists, but Adam Clayton makes sure he's not forgotten. While his bass does lie in the background, on songs like With Or Without You, New Years Day, A Man and A Woman, and Magnificent, the bass is right up in your face. He's so smooth. I hardly get the chance to play bass, but Adam makes me want to get one. I love how Adam is able to make himself heard and at the same time fall back and jam with Larry.

U2 is truly a band. They have never broken up, the line-up hasn't changed, and they don't seem to hate each other. All of the songs are written by U2. It's a democracy, and I like that a lot. Bono may write the lyrics (he puts that in the liner notes), but there would be no lyrics if there was no music. They all need each other.

I haven't written any songs that are really U2esque, but they're in me somewhere. There's no possible way I could ever say that U2 has had no affect on my music because they have. I can feel it. You might not hear it yet, but it's there. The songs are on their way, and they will be coming at you soon. Very, very soon.

2 comments:

Southern (in)Sanity said...

You should check out some more of their older work - Boy and October, for sure.

Amy said...

Sooner rather than later I will have the complete U2 discography.