Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Snowboarding and Music

In a little while (nine hours or so), I will be snowboarding for the first time in probably three years. Part of me is scared, most of me is beyond excited. Snowboarding was my thing for a good three years of my life. In my 8th grade yearbook, next to my picture is a list of goals and one of them was to become a professional snowboarder.

I was all about board sports from the time I was seven and discovered skimboarding. Board sports have a literal and metaphorical edge to them. I was attracted to them (skimboarding, snowboarding, skateboarding, and surfing) because they were different and exciting. I got good at two (snowboarding and skimboarding. I used to be able to stand up on a surfboard, too) really fast. I broke my teeth on a skateboard, but I still own one.

Snowboarding took the cake, though. It was fast. I was good at it. I could showoff a little bit. And my sister skied so snowboarding was all mine in my family. No one else does it. They all hate it. They're all skiers and can't stand (no pun intended) not being able to move their legs. I hated skiing, with a passion. I begged to snowboard. Begged. For years. Then, when I was ten, I learned how to do it. It took four or five lessons for me to be able to keep up with my skiing family and friends, but after that, no one questioned my decision.

Now, what does this have to do with music?

I asked for two or three years for a guitar before I got one. I wasn't encouraged to get one, but I wasn't told no, either. Like anything else, I was horrific at first, and my parents hated it. So did my sister. Unlike a sport, music takes a lot more time to get better at it. Either that, or I really do have a natural aptitude for board sports. Anyway. I practiced for hours and hours and hours. It consumed me. It still does.

If I were to have to create a list of goals to put in my 8th grade yearbook now, I don't think being a professional athlete would be on there. It would be replaced by being a professional musician.

Both of those goals are scoffed at by people. If I wanted to, why couldn't I be a pro. snowboarder? I would go to a school in Vermont, major in something not too stressful, and snowboard all the time. Same thing with music. Why can't I be a professional musician? It might not be pretty right away. Nothing is. But I know it's worth it.

Just like tomorrow will be worth the pain the comes Thursday. I'm ready for it.

No comments: