Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Major Update

Alright, now that I have some time, I feel like I should update.

Berklee has been amazing so far. I've met so many great (and talented) people as well as reunited with some old Guitar Session buddies. All in all, it's been a blast so far. Other than an hour or so at the Registrar's office getting my schedule sorted out (it was a mess), it's been smooth sailing.

My classes are great. I like all my teachers. And I have an awesome schedule. The latest I'm ever done is four o'clock (plenty of time to get tickets to the game), and that's only on Fridays. I'm done at noon on Mondays, three on Tuesdays and Thursdays, one on Wednesday, and four on Fridays. And next Friday I'm done at one because of a concert going on! Woo!

I've spent just as much time at Fenway Park as I have at Berklee. In five days I went to three games. As Julia says, I have become Jimmy Fallon in 'Fever Pitch,' and she's right. Now that I live here, I have to go to as many games as possible. I even met the Guy that Sits Behind Home Plate! That was so cool. Basically I met a local legend. I plan on befriending him, if it's possible to.

It's funny: now that I feel like I'm forced to practice (otherwise I'll be sloppy and not get a good grade for, well, playing guitar (weird, now that I think about it..Being graded..)), I don't practice nearly as much as I did. I'm also kind of on a creative halt. I haven't written a song in a very long time. I have lyrics, and I have music, it's just that nothing fits. I need to get back into the swing of things.

I'm still trying to figure out the proper balance of homework, practicing/songwriting, socializing, and (by far the most important hahaha) going to Red Sox games. I think by the end of the month I should have it down to a science. Or at least by Midterms I'll have it all together.

Sometimes I wonder how I got in. I've heard so many great players, it (sometimes) makes me question my own abilities. But that only happens for a brief moment from time to time.

I do miss my friends (Drew, Alex, and Jordan in particular), and I obviously miss Bob more than I could ever say. My first lesson was weird. Even though I knew my teacher (Thaddeus Hogarth, possibly the coolest name ever) wasn't going to be Bob, I expected him to be. And even though I knew my lesson was only going to be half an hour, I expected to be there 'til who knows when. Yesterday's lesson was much better than my first.

I'm gonna go now. I need to pick up my room a bit before I get ready for bed. I should practice a bit, too. Or maybe I'll go join my neighbors in singing Something Corporate songs. Definitely one of the three.

No comments: