Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tonight (And Other Things)

I have been waiting for tonight for a very, very long time. Why? I'm going to see my biggest songwriting influence ever, Mr. Billy Joel. Yep. That's right. Billy Joel has more influence on my writing than anyone. After I point it out, it's really quite obvious. He's so loquacious, and his melodies are incredible. I'm not anywhere near his ability (yet). He's also been doing this for about 40 years now..Which is about 36 years longer than I've been working at this stuff. That's a long time. Tonight is also the Block Party, which is essentially the "kick-off" of La Kermesse (big Franco-American festival), and I'm missing it. It's very similar to the class trip/Alicia Keys thing, only this time it's, "But, Amy, it's the Block Party!" And I reply, "Yeah, but it's BILLY JOEL! BILLY JOEL!!!" Haha!

Speaking of songwriting, I have been writing a lot lately. I have so many lyrics, and the melodies/the music is slowly forming. As soon as I get my (mom's) Macbook, I'll be able to record and edit and POST my songs. How does that sound to you? It sounds pretty damn good to me. Then once I'm at Berklee..with Logic Express 8..Oh boy..Be ready. That's all I have to say about that. Be ready. Be ready.

Ah, Berklee. I'm getting really sick of waiting for you. Thank God I have an absolutely amazing summer (Alicia Keys, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, John Mayer, TWO Red Sox/Yankees games, Bruce Springsteen, and Europe), otherwise I may go insane. I'm so ready to get out of this town. I have been for some time. I can't wait to be around musicians and music 24/7. While my friends are struggling with Calculus, I'll be arranging. It'll be funny talking to them about what I'm doing because they'll have no idea/probably be a little jealous because I'm doing what I love, and they're waiting to get to that point. Unlike many, I know what I want to do. I don't have to lay on my bed, stare at the ceiling, and ask myself what I want to do with my life. I've been doing it for about five years now. Berklee is the next necessary step I have to take. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm more than willing to give up my social life from time to time to transcribe Billy Joel songs, write a few of my own, and blues out. So what if I don't go out every weekend? I have more important things to do sometimes.

That being said, I have to go get ready, and then transcribe Billy Joel songs. I'll see you later. How much later? That's a good question.

No comments: