Friday, April 18, 2008

Vacating/RIP Danny Federici

April vacation begins today. It's the perfect way to end the week--sunshine and 72 degrees I'm guessing. I couldn't wait to get to fourth block. We played Jeopardy! today, and my row won again. We won with 18,200. Yes, we are that good.

Well, while most kids spend their April vacations lounging around, playing sports, or heading to Florida, I am lucky enough to be making my third trip to Europe. I leave Sunday for Austria, Venice, and Paris for nine days with some of my best friends. I can't wait. I need to get away for a bit--even away from my guitar, as hard as it may be. I've got a song in me that needs to come out. I need a change of scenery for this one. It's gonna be good. Trust me. I've got a few titles and the "story" in mind. It's in my brain. It's in my heart. Now it just needs to be on paper.

So I found out yesterday that 7,500 people applied to Berklee. Berklee only takes 800-1,000 a year..That's 13.3% at the most. I feel really good about that. Maybe I really am good at this whole music thing.

I haven't had a guitar lesson since March 31st. That is truly depressing. You have no idea how much I miss Bob. I may seem like I can handle an entire month without a guitar lesson, but I can't. Yes, I can figure out almost any song I want to by ear. Yes, I can learn stuff online or through books. Yes, I can analyze tunes on my own. But it's not the same. It's not the same. I need human interaction with music. As much as I enjoy picking apart a Hendrix solo on my own, it's always more fun with Bob. Music isn't something to do alone. It's interactive.

Danny Federici died today. He was the long-time keyboardist/organist of the E-Street Band--Bruce Springsteen's band. He was diagnosed with skin cancer earlier this year. Who dies of skin cancer, honestly. I was very shocked when I heard that. I don't really know what else to say on that. I'm awkward when it comes to death and funerals. I don't generally cry, and I never know what to say to people. I hate saying stuff like 'I'm sorry for your loss,' yeah, I am, but I don't feel like that's enough. It's just..I don't even know. I never know what to say, which is unusual for me. I like to think that I say the right things at the right times for the most part. I'm pretty good with words. I just talk too fast for people to understand sometimes (haha).

It's too nice to be inside right now. And I need to go tanning at some point today..Ironic, isn't it?

Oh yeah, and I may not have to go until May without a lesson. Bob just emailed me.

No comments: