Thursday, January 14, 2010

Down With The Sickness

Towards the end of my break, I came down with mono. My throat was so sore for a week that I wanted nothing more than to tear it out. I had a fever of 102, and I was just all around miserable. I no longer want to tear my throat out and my fever is gone, but the virus still remains. The only good thing is that it's only contagious via saliva so I'm not quarantined from civilization.

The thing about mono is that it stays in your body for a really long time, and it makes you tired. Really really tired. All the time.

I'm not used to this whole being-tired thing. My energy level is normally through the roof, but as of now I have no energy. It's frustrating. I wake up and the first thing I want to do is fall back asleep. Right now I'm supposed to be doing community service with my fellow Peer Advisors, but it would have drained me, and I have another Peer Advising thing to do tonight. So I opted out of today's first activity. I didn't want to, but I kind of had to.

I haven't exactly figured out how to deal with the tiredness yet. At least not effectively. I'm working on it. I'm also working on figuring out how to be lazy. It's not in my nature to do nothing, especially when I have stuff to do.

Another thing I hate about mono is that I can't work out for a few months. I can't run and I can't snowboard. I have to adjust my diet because I can no longer simply run off all the carbs I eat.

This could last until the beginning of February, which wouldn't be that bad. Or it could last until the beginning of April, which would suck big time.

The only thing I can do is go about my life the way I normally would and sleep when I need to. Contrary to what I may think, my life is not over. Far from it.

No comments: